Gym shorts are an essential piece of kit for your workouts and choosing the right pair can sometimes be a bit tricky, especially if you’re shopping online.
Most workout shorts will come with pockets to store your essentials, but it’s usually favorable to go for a pair which have zipped pockets so that you can keep your essential items secure while you push out one more rep.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at everything you need to know when it comes to selecting the best gym shorts with zip pockets. We’re going to focus on the important factors such as the material, style, brand and more to help you find the ideal pair for you.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s start taking a closer look at some of the key things to think about when selecting a pair of workout shorts.
Gym Shorts For Men – Things To Consider
There are a few things to bear in mind when shopping for gym and workout shorts. Here are some of the main points to consider while browsing.
• Material – The material the shorts are made of is one major point to think about while shopping. Most modern day gym shorts are made from synthetic materials such as polyester or nylon (many brands also now use materials that are either partially or fully recycled). Generally speaking, synthetic materials are better at wicking away moisture and are more breathable than other options such as cotton. That being said, some people may choose to opt for shorts made from materials such as cotton due to personal preference. However, we’ve found that most of the best gym shorts with zip pockets are made mainly from materials such as polyester and nylon.
• Style and Fit – How the shorts look and fit you is another important aspect to consider. Some guys may prefer shorts that sit around the knee, but others may be looking for a pair that sits higher up on the leg. This generally comes down to personal preference, but it’s definitely worth using a tape measure to work out what sort of length you’d like your shorts to be. The overall style of the shorts is another point to think about. You may be looking for a straightforward and simple dark-colored pair, or perhaps you’re after something a bit bolder with a patterned design. Either way, most brands provide a range of color options and styles to choose from. One other tip is to check the size guide shown on the official website before making a purchase so that you can be confident they’ll be a good fit.
• Pockets – In our opinion, having pockets in your gym shorts is essential, and if they have zips, that’s better still. Most of us will have our smartphones with us in the gym, plus other essentials such as keys and cards. Having zipped pockets means that you don’t have to worry about your items falling out while you’re pushing through one last rep or running on the treadmill. The shorts we’ve picked for this guide have at least one zipped pocket, but many also have multiple zipped pockets so that you’ll have no shortage of storage space. Some pockets will also feature holes to allow you to easily threaten through your headphones cable.
• Brand – Finally, it’s always worth doing a bit of research into the brand and manufacturer behind the product. That could mean reading up about the history of the company online, and checking some customer reviews of the products you’re looking at. The brands and manufacturers featured on this page are all reputable sportswear companies with track histories in the industry. And we’ve done our best to make this guide as helpful as possible – but doing some of your own research is never a bad idea.
Best Gym Shorts For Men With Zip Pockets – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the key things to consider when shopping for gym shorts, it’s time to bring you our pick of some of the best options on the market at the moment. All of the shorts featured below are made by established brands and have at least one zip pocket.
1) Lululemon Pace Breaker Linerless Short
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
The first option on our list is the Lululemon Pace Breaker Linerless Shorts. Available in a wide range of colors to suit all styles and made mainly of recycled polyester, these shorts have a zippered pocket – as well as regular open hand pockets – to help keep your essential items close and secure. These stylish and minimalist shorts are made from a four-way stretch material and are quick-drying and sweat-wicking to help keep you feeling comfortable while you’re working out. They’re an excellent option if you’re looking for a straightforward and quality pair of gym shorts with zip pockets.
2) Gymshark Apex Perform Shorts
Where to buy: www.gymshark.com
Next up are Gymshark’s Apex Perform Shorts. Featuring two side zip pockets and made from a blend of polyester and elastane to help keep you cool while you’re working out, these slim-fit shorts are an excellent everyday training option. Made from a four-way stretch material and with a side split to ensure ease of movement, they also have a ‘stay put’ waistband and feature premium quality zips. These shorts are also available in a range of different colors to suit all styles and tastes.
3) Adidas Break The Norm Shorts
Where to buy: www.adidas.com
Adidas’ Break The Norm Shorts are the next option on our list. Technically running shorts, they can also be used while training and have a concealed zip pocket on the back right to help keep your essentials secure. Being primarily designed for running, these shorts offer good ease of movement and have a retro feel to them. They are made from recycled polyester and have an elastic waist with a drawstring.
4) Lululemon Pace Breaker Lined Short
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
Lululemon Pace Breaker Lined Shorts are next up. They are similar to the first option on this list but feature a liner made from quick-drying mesh fabric. These shorts are available in a range of different colors to suit all tastes, and have a zip pocket to help keep essentials close and secure. Designed for both running and working out in the gym, they are made from a four-way stretch material and a blend of recycled polyester and elastane.
5) Under Armor Men’s Speedpocket Shorts
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
The final product on our list is Under Armor Men’s Speedpocket Shorts. These shorts have been constructed for running as the main sport, but they can also be used while working out. They are made from a blend of polyester and elastane and feature a liner for added comfort. They feature a ‘Speedpocket’ designed to hold phones up to 6″ x 3″ in size. Note, however, that the pocket is located on the back waistband of the shorts, which may not be ideal for some people while training, depending on the exercise you’re doing.
Anything Else To Consider?
One of the major concerns when shopping for clothing online is getting the right size. It’s always best to start by checking out the size guide shown on the official brand website so you can get a good idea of what will fit you.
It’s also worth doing some research and reading up about the returns, refunds and exchanges policies on the site you’ll be shopping at, so you’ll know where you stand if the size isn’t quite right or you’re not happy with the product for another reason.
It may also be worth popping into your local sportswear store and trying on a few pairs of gym shorts to help clarify the idea of the size and fit you’re looking for.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our buying guide for the best gym shorts for men with zip pockets.
We’ve walked you through some of the key considerations to think about when shopping for a new pair of workout shorts, and have also picked out five of the best options on the market at the moment.
We currently rate Lululemon’s Pace Breaker Linerless Shorts as our top choice – but all of the shorts featured on this list are excellent options.