If you’re just getting started with yoga or pilates, it’s important to have a good quality mat from the start.
Not all yoga mats are created equal, however, so it’s worth taking your time to do some research and pick out the one that will be best suited to what you’re looking for.
In this article, we’re going to cover all of the key things to consider when shopping for a yoga mat, including the size, material, brand and price. We’re also going to bring you our pick of five great options available from a range of different brands.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s start taking a look at some of the key points to consider when shopping for a yoga mat for beginners.
Yoga Mats For Beginners – Things To Consider
There are a few key points to think about when you first start shopping for a yoga mat. Here are some of the things to bear in mind.
• Material, Thickness And Grip – Perhaps the most important points to consider when shopping for a good yoga mat are the material, thickness and grip. Many yoga mats are made from PVC or vinyl, but some are made from rubber, cork and other materials. The thickness of the mat is something to think carefully about. While there is no “perfect” thickness for everyone, the most popular yoga mats are more than 3mm thick. If you think you’ll prefer the feeling of the floor beneath you, then you may choose to opt for a mat that’s less than 3mm thick. All of the mats we’ve featured below are at least 4.7mm thick. Finally, choosing a mat with a good grip means that you can switch between poses without having to worry about slipping.
• Size And Portability – If you attend yoga classes at a studio or gym, then portability when shopping for a mat is certainly an important factor. Some yoga mats are easier to transport than others, so it’s worth carefully checking the size of the mat you’re looking at and whether it comes with a strap or carrying case. It’s also worth checking the dimensions of the yoga mat you’ll be buying to ensure that it will be a good fit for you. Some of the options on this page only come in one size, while others are available in different dimensions.
• Style And Design – This is more important to some people than others, but there is certainly no harm in choosing a yoga mat that looks great as well as being practical. There are some really great designs out there and many of the options that we’ve featured below are available in a range of different colors to suit all styles and tastes.
• Is it easy to clean? – Another key point to consider is how easy your new yoga mat will be to clean. Some mats are machine washable, but be sure to carefully check the label for the directions. Other mats need to be cleaned by hand using a gentle cloth – and some materials are easier to clean than others.
• Brand And Price – Finally, it’s always worth doing a bit of your own research into the manufacturer and brand behind the product. Reading up on some customer reviews online is never a bad idea, and it can help you decide what mat to go for. It’s also worth looking at the manufacturer’s reputation and whether they have a proven track history in the industry.
Best Yoga Mats For Beginners – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the main points to consider when shopping for a yoga mat, it’s time to reveal our pick of five of the best options for beginners on the market at the moment.
All of the mats below are made by reputable sportswear and accessory brands, and the products are available to buy in most countries, including the UK and USA, from the official brand websites or on other retail sites such as Amazon.
1) Lululemon The Mat 5mm
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
The first option on our list is The Mat 5mm made by Lululemon. Featuring a base made from FSC-certified natural rubber (Lululemon say that it may also contain Latex), this highly-rated yoga mat is reversible, so you can flip between the smooth, grippy side and the cushioned, rubber side as and when you want. The mat comes in a wide range of colors to suit all styles and is 5mm thick. It can be cleaned using a damp cloth and also features antimicrobial properties. Thickness: 5mm, Weight: 5.24lbs / 2.38kg.
2) Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
Where to buy: www.amazon.com
Next up is the Manduka PRO Yoga Mat. Manduka is one of the biggest names in the Yoga industry and at the time of writing, their PRO Yoga Mat has an average rating of 4.6 out of five stars from more than 6,000 reviews on Amazon. This mat is on the thicker side (6mm) and offers excellent cushioning. It’s a great option for comfort and cushioning and comes in a selection of different colors to suit all styles and tastes. Thickness: 6mm, Weight: 7.5lbs / 3.4kg.
3) Nike Mastery Yoga Mat
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The next option on our list is the Nike Mastery Yoga Mat. Made from natural grippy rubber with a stone look, this very lightweight yoga mat has a grippy surface that’s designed to be cool to the touch. Made from a blend of thermoplastic elastomer and rubber, this super-lightweight mat has a standard thickness of 5mm. Thickness: 5mm, Weight: 3.15lbs / 1.4kg.
4) Adidas By Stella McCartney Yoga Mat
Where to buy: www.adidas.com
The next option on our out list is the great-looking Adidas By Stella McCartney Yoga Mat. Coming in a pleasant ‘shift purple’ colour, this yoga mat comes with a stylish strap for easy transportation and is made from a blend of different foams. Adidas describes this yoga mat as being “lightweight” but does not disclose the exact weight on their website. It may not be quite as grippy as some of the other options on this list but it’s a great option for helping to support your movements during your yoga session. Thickness: 5mm, Weight: Not Shown
5) Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat
Where to buy: www.amazon.com
The final option on our list is another mat made by Manduka. The Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat is a great option if you’re looking for a slightly thinner mat that is both lightweight and practical. Despite its thin design, this yoga mat features ultra-dense cushioning and closed-cell material to keep out moisture. It’s available in a wide selection of different colors to suit all tastes and weighs only 1.9kg. Thickness: 4.7mm, Weight: 4.19lbs / 1.9kg.
Anything Else To Consider?
It’s a good idea to carefully check the returns, refunds and exchanges policies on the site you’re shopping from before making a purchase, so that you’ll know where you stand if you need to return your yoga mat for any reason.
Most brands and retailers will offer free returns and exchanges for unused items, but it’s definitely a good idea to check this before buying.
It’s also worth double-checking the dimensions of the yoga mat you’re thinking of buying before making a purchase so that you can be sure it will be the perfect fit for you.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our guide to the best yoga mats for beginners.
We’ve walked you through some of the key considerations to think about when shopping for a yoga mat, and have also picked out five of the best options available on the market at the moment.
We think that The Mat 5mm by Lululemon is a great option – but all of the mats featured on this page are good choices to help you get the most out of your yoga sessions.